Friday, February 18, 2011

If I was president

I cast my ballot a little earlier on this morning. I don't normally pay much attention to politics, at least not for a good chunk of my life but I have tried to understand it for the last couple of years. Here's what I have learnt :-

  1. All politicians are liars. 
  2. The electorate always behaves like a bunch of kids, a majority of it hardly understanding how their systems work and preferring a bandwagon to independent choice.
  3. In any system, the incumbent has the advantage of access to more resources, more so in Uganda.
  4. No idea should ever go without genuine and honest challenge, only then can its substance be truly understood and its merits and demerits put forth for all to measure.
  5. Corrupt leaders are only a reflection of a corrupt, morally deficient and weak society. Such societies never last more than a few generations, their deaths are always borne from within, beginning with fear.
  6. Government of the people, by the people and for the people shall never perish from the earth. Not as long as there are men and women willing to fight for it
  7. The most important leaders in a democratic government are those most immediate to the people.
  8. The people reserve the right to recall any ineffective representative at any point of their choosing. Exercise of this right is the ultimate form of democracy.
  9. I am going to put my MP to task in the next five years and if he's not up to scratch, I will ask him to return to his home and engage in other business.
  10. The People shall prevail, always, even under the most oppressive of leaderships, they shall always prevail.

No comments: