Monday, October 05, 2009

Keira Phoebe Eirênê Wanyenze Kanyana Nagimesi


So I went to visit the Nagimesi family the other day and I am happy to report that both mother and child are doing well. She has been named: Keira because it's a cool name and that Knightly chick is hot! Phoebe after her grandmother (funky family this, I think my granny's name was some archaic catholic name); Eirênê, (ee re nee) after a Greek goddess of the same name who personified peace and was an inspiration for several ancient artists, writers and poets; Wanyenze (apparently Gisu names have no meaning); Kanyana, which has something to do with a calf; Nagimesi, the Gisu guys at it again.

Someone once famously asked what was in a name, his logic being that a rose by any other would smell just as sweet. The truth is that human beings are fascinated with names and this fascination permeates every aspect of our lives. I met a guy over the weekend whose first few sentences included the fact that he was the son of a prominent member of the ruling elite. If only he had been named after some form of pond life, the arrogance! Names have the ability to inspire us to achieve great things as in the case of the Kennedys whose name is synonymous with American politics, fame, glory and a healthy dose of sleaze. After the recent death of Ted Kennedy, most Americans wondered who would fill his shoes and keep the name going, I don't envy that person. For my part, it was decreed that I would be called a "wise protector" because of "God's love" but my friends have conspired to name me after wildlife for one reason or another. I carry my given names with pride but for myself, I will always be my mother's son. So what does your name mean?

7 comments:

Ink said...

Hunter. My name means goddess of hunting or some such idiocracy. And I was saved from a worse fate coz my dad showed up too late! But in my parents defense, they named me after a princess, who at the time was a beacon of kindness, style and beauty... (in my mother's words).

Keira is a beautiful name.

Jq said...

My name means "Supplanter" still haven't figured out who or what i replaced!!! And I hope I'm doing a gd job!!

normzo said...

my name- surname- means I'm

'A long way from home'

That baby is good- Nagi must be feeding her well-good stuff.

L.A. Lutara said...

is there anyone else out there who hates the associations that comes with their name? and the corressponding nicknames that come along with it? Lloyd, for some reason, never fails to ellicit a "Banks" at the end of it. after the no talent rapper who once belonged to the now defunct G-unit. i got so tired of saying "uh, no, its JUST Lloyd." that ive resigned myself to the inevitable...ugh.

Ashy said...

A town in Judah. Also, sanskrit for 'change'

Enan K said...

Clearly Keira has been left with the option to make her own choice from all these - congs to the nagimesis

Elle B said...

My name means .... aaah, wait, lemme google it...my name is a French girl's name...It has no meaning. But in our defence... our sir names don't not have meanings.Its just that they are so ancient, their meanings got forgotten, you know? But they were profound.